Welcome to the Family Echo Q&A forum. In order to ask or answer questions, please ensure you sign in at Family Echo first.
Welcome to Family Echo Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

In order to ask or answer questions, please ensure you sign in at Family Echo first.

Before asking a question, please check the Frequently Asked Questions page.

Seperate Partner in tree

0 votes
if i accidentally partnered up 2 persons, is there a way to seperate them again without deleting them?
asked Mar 20 by CrossyChainsaw (200 points)

1 Answer

0 votes

I am not aware of a way to remove a partner. You can change the type of partner, but that's not what you need. 

I believe you could download your GEDCOM file, edit it directly, and then upload it again. You would be looking for a group of lines that compromise a family record. It would probably look something like this:

1 FAMS @F1@
0 @F1@ FAM
1 HUSB @I125@
1 WIFE @I245@
Search for the names of the people you inadvertently married, and note that one of the the enties above their name will start with SUBM. The characters after that is the identifier for that person. Now find the other person and note their identifier. 
Now you're looking for a family record by searching for lines like the HUSB and WIFE lines in the example above. When you find them, delete the lines associated with that family. Save the GEDCOM file and you can create a new family tree from your account page and upload that corrected GEDCOM file. The upload button is in the lower left after you make a create a new family tree. 
Don't delete your old family tree until everything looks okay.
Or you can just delete one of the married peopel and recreate them. 
answered Mar 20 by lsommerer (45,180 points)